Space Heaters in the Workplace
With the low temperatures that Cenla is already experiencing, your home might not be the only building that needs some extra help heating up some areas with space heaters. Most likely, your office or workspace might need that extra boost to have a comfortable working temperature. However, just like at home, there are some safety tips you should follow. Depending on the work you do, here are some Do’s and Don’ts you should keep in mind if you have or plan on having a space heater in your area:
- Keep any flammable items at least three feet away from space heaters.
- Turn off space heaters before you leave the room.
- Supervise any potential children or pets that may be around the area to prevent injuries.
- Look for a space heater with Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety mark, signifying that the product was tested for potential safety hazards, as well for units with automatic shut-off features and heating element guards.
- Keep space heaters away from water sources.
- Place space heaters on a level surface, and away from walking areas.
- Use space heaters to thaw pipes. Misusing a space heater can increase fire and burn risks.
- Use a space heater that has broken wires or signs of overheating. In this case, have the unit serviced immediately.
- Plug a heater into an extension cord. The risk of overheating and catching fire exists if this is done.
- Use a heater near a sink or in the bathroom.
Remember that safety should be a priority, especially when you are dealing with something as sensitive as an electric space heater. You can find out how to safely put out any small fire on our website. SERVPRO of Alexandria has been a reliable fire mitigation company in central Louisiana. You can count on us for any fire damage restoration. Call us at (318) 427-7511 at any time, any day. Stay warm Cenla, but more importantly, stay safe!
#centralLouisiana #fireDamage #firePrevention #heroReady #insuranceClaim #fireSafety #smokeDamage #electricalFire #hereToHelp