Recent General Posts

Holiday Decorations Safety

12/6/2021 (Permalink)

Holiday Light Decorations Colorful holiday light decorations hanging from the roof of a house.

It’s December Cenla! Even though many of you have started to decorate for Christmas months ago, SERVPRO of Alexandria is here to help you stay safe this time of the year. 

Let’s begin with the most common decoration of the season: the tree. Whether you like natural trees or fake trees, there are things to consider when you first purchase them.

There is a concern that plastic trees are too flammable but you need not worry! There are trees that are now fire resistant. When you’re at your local store, make sure you look for the fire resistant label on the box. This makes the tree less susceptible to catching fire and let’s you have better peace of mind.

In the case of natural trees make sure to choose one that isn’t too dry. Having a dry tree is a safety hazard as they will ignite much faster. By observing the needles you should be able to tell if a tree is hydrated. The following tips should help:

  • They are green. The greener the better.
  • They are hard to pull off.
  • When you bend them between your fingers, they don’t snap.
  • When you shake the tree, there isn’t a shower of needles falling off.

You can also tell by the trunk. If it is sticky with resin, then it's definitely hydrated. 

When placing the tree, make sure any heating source is at least 3 feet away from it. Also don’t block exits. It is recommended to water your tree at least every two days. But the more frequent, the better. Keeping it hydrated will keep it looking healthy and less likely to ignite. 

Use proper outlets

When plugging in your light-up decorations, take into consideration the following:

  • The power source should be plugged into the ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet.
    • This will shut the circuit down if there is an over current. You may opt to install one, in which case a handyman can help you with that, or buy a portable outdoor unit. 
  • Do not overload the extension cords, at the maximum there should be 3 light strings according to the recommendations from the (CPSC). They also encourage homeowners to unplug decorations when there is no one in the building, and turn them off before going to sleep. 

Read the labels!

Lights and other wired decorations have wattage levels which you need to make sure you are conforming to. 

Don't use any damaged electric lights. Cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, and loose connections may pose a fire or  shock hazard.

Keep your fireplace and chimney clean. 

Don't throw any wrapping paper into the fireplace. A flash fire may result due to wrappings igniting and burning intensibly.

Candles can set the mood for a lovely holiday evening. Open flame is a fire hazard, so perhaps consider using battery-operated candles. In any case, follow these recommendations if you decide to light up regular candles:

  • Keep them on a sturdy base that won’t tip over.
  • Do not leave a candle unattended.
  • Do not have any lighted candles, lighters, or matches close or on the tree or evergreens.
  • Consider a non-flammable candle holder.
  • Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper.
  • Place them somewhere they will not get knocked or blown over.

Interesting stats about the holiday season

-130,000 fires are reported in December alone. Causing 400 fatalities and 1,600 injuries. 

-The entire month of December as well as New Years have on average over 200 fire related fatalities and injuries. 

-Almost a fourth of Christmas tree fires are due to the trees being too close to a heat source. 

-Holiday decorations and Christmas trees account for almost 2,000 fires. This case caused 41 million in property damage according to the NFPA.

-The majority of homeowners have smoke detectors in their homes. Although 24% of those have not changed their batteries in the last 2 years. The Fire Department of the City of Alexandria can help with more information regarding smoke detectors and more.

-More than 20% of Americans do not turn off their decoration lights before going to sleep, or leaving their houses. 

As a final tip, we encourage our community to keep an escape plan in mind. Make sure to practice it with your family. It will help to know exactly what to do when there is an emergency. 

Stay safe Central Louisiana and Happy Holidays!

#centralLouisiana #holidaSafety #fireDamage #firePrevention #heroReady #insuranceClaim #fireSafety #smokeDamage #electricalFire #hereToHelp

Faster to Any Size Disaster!

5/16/2017 (Permalink)

Faster to any size Disaster!

SERVPRO of Alexandria provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Central Louisiana. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.

  • 24-Hour Emergency Service
  • Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
  • Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
  • A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
  • Locally Owned and Operated
  • Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment 

Have Questions? Call Us 24/7:

Residential Services

Whether your Seminole County home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us.  Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:

  • Water Damage Restoration
  • Fire Damage Restoration
  • Mold Remediation
  • Storm Damage Restoration
  • Cleaning Services
  • Building/Reconstruction Services

Commercial Services

There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Seminole County commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services:

  • Commercial Water Damage Restoration
  • Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
  • Commercial Mold Remediation
  • Commercial HVAC cleaning
  • And more!

Fire or Water Damage? Don't wait to call!

1/30/2017 (Permalink)

For many of you your home is your biggest asset. Because of this, you do not want to wait to be proactive for fire or water damage. Simply waiting a few days to address a water loss could result in secondary damage like mold or mildew growth or protracted structural damage. Fire damage like excessive soot or noxious odors could result in  a decrease in quality of living.

SERVPRO of Alexandria services Alexandria, Pineville and Ball. We also travel to Natchitoches, Marksville, Winnfield and other towns in central Louisiana.

Please give SERVPRO of Alexandria a call at 318-427-7511.


Happy Thanksgiving Central Louisiana

11/25/2015 (Permalink)

Thanksgiving is a day to enjoy football, food, friends and family.  Most importantly it is a day for us to give thanks for the people and blessings that fill our lives.  While Thanksgiving traditions vary between families, the turkey is the centerpiece of each and every home during the holiday.

With that in mind, if you decide to deep-fry your turkey, keep your family and house safe this Thanksgiving with these safe cooking tips.

-Always use a turkey fryer outside, away from buildings or other flammable materials

-Never use it on wooden decks or in garages

-Make sure the fryer is on flat ground before using to reduce the chance of tipping

-Never leave the fryer alone.  Most units lack thermostats, meaning an unwatched fryer will continue to heat until it bursts into flames

-Keep children and pets away from the fryer, even after you're done cooking, since the oil can remain hot for hours

-Don't overfill the fryer

-Use well-insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching pot or lid handles.  It is also recommended to wear safety goggles to avoid splatter

-Only cook a completely thawed turkey and be careful with marinades.  Oil and water don't mix, water could make the oil spill over, creating a fire or explosion

-If a fire does start, never use water to extinguish it.  If the fire is manageable, use an all-purpose fire extinguisher. 

-If the fire grows, immediately call 9-1-1